According to dictionary.com,
So how do you show optimism in writing about a character?
Optimistic people have hope that good always will happen. So, if your character is in a bad place, they have to see the light at the end of the tunnel, thinking happy thoughts all the time.
Other characters will probably be cynical toward the optimist, who always wears 'rose colored glasses' and only sees good in everything. That will increase conflict in the story, which is a good thing for every plot.
Even so, highly effective leaders are optimistic. It increases creativity and innovation. Also, sales people who are optimistic sell more of their product.
Optimists do the following, according to Optimism: The Hidden Asset:
- avoid negative environments
- celebrate strengths
- take care of spiritual and emotional well being
- manage or ignore what can't be changed
- learning to reframe (shift in perspective by looking for hidden positive in a negative situation)
- adapt language and outlook
- focus outside themselves
- nurture a culture of optimism in others
- cultivate spontaneity
- consider the health benefits (optimism is linked to greater health)
For a character to be optimistic, they have to believe in themselves, be hopeful in every negative situation, and stay motivated. It's all a mental attitude.
Have a great day!
Optimism: Strengths of Will
How to Be Optimistic
Optimism: The Hidden Asset