Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sales and Marketing

I'm not sure what's going on with the industry right now, but my sales are slumping.  It makes me wonder what the impact of the new Amazon KDP Select model is having on ebook sales, and if readers are just waiting for books to go free before they buy anything.  However, I've found that free or even cheap books have a tendency to draw in more trolls/sock puppets (those are people whose sole goal is to give a book a low rating, usually because they have a personal vendetta against the writer, or they don't want their own books/friends books to get worse rankings).

I need to know if there are any unusual marketing opportunities out there, and if anyone has any strange ideas for marketing (especially free ones).  Personally, I'm finding that marketing to other authors doesn't work well.  Any ideas?

Smiles,
Markee

4 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you. The weird things is that my sales at Barnes and Noble are much better this year than ever before. Still not great, but I'm selling more there than on Amazon. I wish I knew how people were finding out about my books on Nook. I can't figure out how to work B&N boards or threads. It's just not as simple as the Kindle boards and threads.

    Keep us updated on what you find out. I'm off to share to get some opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree, Sandy. My B&N sales have gone up, but Amazon's have come to a standstill, pretty much. I've also noticed that my 99 centers are selling the best on B&N, but NOT on Amazon.

    I've had a few thoughts, but all of it will cost a bunch of money. Considering I don't want to go in the red, I have to think outside the box, I think. I'm not seeing social media helping, because I think there's a glut in the market of both social media and indie books available. I'm also looking at my covers, trying to figure out what sells. It seems that legs on a cover sells. Go figure.

    So here's what hit me initially--get in with a big company and promote by offering free books through that company (like contact a place like Starbucks and see if they want a free book offered about a coffee shop, for example), go to Craig's List (not sure about this one), offer a banner to various places, like google ads. They all sound pricey, in the long run.

    Anyway, thanks for the comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard getting books to sell :-( That is the real downside of indie authoring. The writing is fun but getting enough publicity etc for the books is a nightmare. Personally I think your covers are great, but if legs are what sell books then get them on there!! As you say, the various author forums aren't much good since it's just authors trying to sell to each other, so not getting any of us very far. I don't think there's one simple solution. It's a case of trying different things and seeing what works at the time.
    Steph www.booksarecool.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are SO right, Steph. I've been wracking my brain to figure it out, but coming up empty. If I think of anything, I'll let everyone know. :)

    Thank you SO much for posting!! :)

    ReplyDelete