Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Article Info: e-Book Prices

 In this article: www.rubyslipperedsisterhood.com/thomas-deprima-over-140000-indie-books-sold-at-a-price-that-might-surprise-you/, Thomas DePrima is interviewed. There were some very interesting comments. These two stuck out for me:
"Like most people, I’m playing it one day at a time right now as we try to determine what’s going to happen in this industry. I’m also working to expand my distribution channels. Amazon has struck a serious blow to Kindle fiction book sales for the immediate future and beyond, so I have to find other outlets for my books."
I'm seeing this in Amazon sales. I used to sell between 20 and 50 books a day on Amazon. Now, I'm lucky to sell 7 on Amazon, even with 27 different titles. Why should readers buy my books when there are so many freebies every day? Thanks to KDP Select, the Amazon market has changed for Indies, and not for the better.
And let us not forget the immortal words of Thomas Paine, a self-pubber who wrote in 1776, "What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly. It is dearness only which gives everything its value."
This is so true. I see more trolls harassing books that are free or 99 cents. They have no respect for such books. I get emails from people selling books all the time and have seen books that are around 2,000 words (about ten pages) selling for $2.99. So why do my books, that are all over 70,000 words, selling for $2.99 considered too expensive? And yes, I've had one review like that on one of my books on Amazon. The reader was upset that I raised my book prices from 99 cents to $2.99. It's all about respect. Some of my books are more than a hundred thousand words (around 400 pages). If I followed the industry, those books would be more than $5.99. But I keep them around $2.99-$3.99. I look at a Vente Latte at Starbucks, for about $4. My books last longer than that latte, and I put a LOT more effort into the product and have to pay out a LOT more to publish that book (the cover, the ISBN, the software to create the book, the laptop, etc.). So why do readers think my books should be free? I'd love to hear your comments on this topic. Smiles, Markee

No comments:

Post a Comment