Tuesday, October 9, 2012

'Into' vs. 'in to'

So I'm still editing those old published manuscripts, and am now looking at 'into' vs. 'in to.' I found this:

Use 'in to' if you can generally replace it with 'in order to.' Use 'into' if it means or can answer the question 'where' or indicates some sort of action.

Personally, I think of 'in to' as 'inside to'. I think of 'into' as just 'inside.'

I walked into the room. (where? the room. OR I walked inside the room. Use into.)
I went in to put the book away. (I went, in order to put the book away, OR I went inside to put the book away. Use 'in to'.)

Easy, peasy. YAY!

Here are a few references:

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/into.html
http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/questions-and-quandaries/into-vs-in-to

Smiles,
Markee

2 comments:

  1. Hi Markee,
    Interesting blog. It is so confusing this American/English spelling. I guess the only thing to do is be consistent all the way through our manuscript by using either the English way or the American way. Makes it hard for us Aussies. We are left sitting on the fence a bit.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I hear ya, Margaret. And you're so right...consistency is key. I think it's smart to have 'the right way' all spelled out, like they do overseas. Here, it's kind of 'do what you want' and that doesn't make for good reading.

    Thank you for the comment!

    ReplyDelete