Friday, July 25, 2014

Plot Bunnies

Plot bunnies.  What are they?  They're small ideas that can turn into wonderful plots.  They roam around my head a lot, and some day, I hope to get them all down on paper and into a book.

I have this wonderful friend who calls me a lot.  She's an author, too, and fantastic at plotting.  I think she's the queen of plot bunnies, and her plots are outstanding!

So I tell her my daily adventures and she comes up with a plot.  Sometimes, it's the plot for the first of a series and she gives me the REST of the plots for the whole series within minutes.  Sometimes, though, it's a standalone book.

The thing is, my daily adventures are getting stranger and stranger.  My 'day job' is to watch our Boston terriers and deal with our three children (all over 18, but they'll always be our children).  The youngest two are in college and the oldest one just graduated from college last December.

So since my 'day job' requires me to take these two handful dogs for walks every day, I get out of the house for 20 minutes a day, at least.  Some days, I have to run errands (like all summer long) but at least 20 minutes of my day is spent walking the sidewalks of our neighborhood.

The other day, I had an interesting thing happen.  I had my earphones in my ears, listening to the radio while walking.  I looked up ahead and a well-dressed older man was pacing on the sidewalk at the end of that street.  Weird enough.  But I ignored him because some other guy was walking on the sidewalk across the street.  The dogs wanted to meet that guy (they want to meet everyone and give them kisses and I'm worried that if I ever get mugged, they'd thank the guy with kisses before being good watch dogs).  After I dealt with the 'across-the-street' guy and the dogs, I looked back up ahead, and the well-dressed guy was gone.  Weird but not too abnormal.

I walked closer to the house on the corner, where the well-dressed man had been pacing.  When I got to the next house down from that corner house, I could've sworn I heard a woman screaming inside that house.  I did have earphones in my ears, but the music wasn't loud.  Another man was in the driveway, leaning on the front of his truck.  He was much older and looked like he was ready to collapse at any time.  The noise might've been from him, so I took one earphone out.  Another scream. I watched the man at the truck.  It wasn't him.  He ignored the scream and me, and kept leaning over the front of the truck.

I kept walking past that man.  I turned the corner of the house with the dogs in the lead and there was the well-dressed man, pacing on the other side of the house.  He greeted the dogs and they instantly wanted to be his friend (see?  Not watch dogs at all!) and then said they probably weren't used to someone in their path.  I agreed, and ALMOST said, 'neither am I and why is that woman screaming inside the house' but didn't want to be his next victim, if the woman was in pain or being killed.

I kept walking and the two men left me alone.

I kept thinking about this the whole morning.  I talked to my plotting friend and she came up with a 'plot bunny' that's been worming its way through my brain all week long.  She even told me more she came up with yesterday morning.

Now, here's your job.  What would YOU have thought if you were walking your dogs and heard screaming?  It was around eight in the morning when this happened, so the sun was shining.  The man we passed first didn't even look at the woman-screaming house, so it's possible nothing had happened at all.  But being an author, various images filled my thoughts.  What would you have thought and done?

Have a great week!
Markee

No comments:

Post a Comment