Friday, August 8, 2014

A Writer's Life

Have you ever wondered how a writer does it and what their life is like?  I don't know about other writers, but mine varies a lot during the day.  My 'main' job is to take care of our dogs, kids, and the house.  So this summer, I've spent a lot of my time doing that, since our two youngest kids are home from college for the summer.  I've been tweeting and posting things on Facebook, and when I get a free moment, I write.  In between, I plot.  I have entire movies of plots going through my head almost all the time.

During the school year, I'm alone during the day and only have to deal with the dogs and cleaning the house.  I do get phone calls from the two college kids, but those calls usually only last an hour a day, each.  Not kidding.

For writing, I write a first draft from the plot-movies going through my head.  Then I read through it, to see what plot holes I have, and to fix typos.  I read it a few more times (yes, sometimes up to six more times) to hunt for more typos or problems, and then I have to make it into the various ereader formats (.mobi for Kindle, .epub for almost every other ereader, and .pdf for All Romance eBooks).  I also create the cover (front and back) and the file for CreateSpace (paperback format).

I put my books on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Smashwords, All Romance eBooks, and CreateSpace for paperback (just started doing that one).

I bought ISBNs a while back on Bowker, so I have those under SweetTale Books, even though that's not a publishing company.  It's just an umbrella that contains all my books.  So when I upload books, I've already put all the information in for the ISBN that's being used.  Then I have to create two blurbs (one short for Smashwords and one long for everything), a bio, figure out the price and think up tag identifying words.  I then upload and wait one to two days for it to become 'live.'

After it's live, I promote it on twitter and Facebook.  I have fan pages and twitter accounts for most of my pen names (I have five pen names, one per genre).  I also update my websites, that I've done myself.

So I do it all.  Some authors pay to have these things done, but I do it alone, because then I have more control over things.

Thus, writing a book isn't as easy as just writing it and forgetting about it.  There's a whole process for each book, which takes time.  Fortunately, I have a back log of books that I just have to edit and do the creation and marketing for.  The first draft is done.

I'm so happy to be able to share my stories, though.  They're always in my head with new ones being formed daily.  I can't keep up most of the time.  LOL!

Have a great week!
Markee

No comments:

Post a Comment