Friday, August 29, 2014

Writer's Block or Lack of Time

I've had a problem for months now.  I can't write.  It's not that I don't want to write or don't have ideas to write--I have more than enough unwritten plots, and even many, many books already written, just waiting for publication.  But I just can't write.

Why?  I have six extremely important reasons.

First, my husband.  I love him dearly, but he gives me things to do RIGHT NOW.  That type of thing.  I can usually handle him, since he works eight hours every day Monday through Friday.

Next, our son.  He graduated from college, but as many people know, he has Asperger's Syndrome.  Recently, my husband decided our son needed to drive again (he has a license but refused to ever drive after getting his license).  So my husband made him drive to his new job this past winter/spring.  Since our son had a few more hours of driving, my husband decided our son should get a car, so he did.  He now is the owner of a used Subaru Forester.  The first time he drove by himself was to go to his new job (second day of work), 4.2 miles in 25 mph zones.  I panicked and paced until he called me that he was at work.  He had to get the new job because the first job was just one stressful moment after another with him, which he'd take out on everyone at home.  So now, he's driving to and from the new job every day, learning the ways of the road after missing his turnoff more than once.  He's also learned how not to turn left from a center lane.  UGH.  But he also works M-F for 8 hours, so he isn't that much of a problem after he gets to work and before he comes home.

Then there's our middle kid, a redheaded female.  She's a handful, at best.  She and I are so much alike, we fight a lot.  She comes to me with a lot of problems, and I try to help her solve them.  She couldn't get a job this summer, so she was home.  Every time I'd try to write for an hour, she'd bug me with some other issue that had to be solved NOW (she's a little like her father).

Our youngest probably understands writing the most.  She loves to plot and would love to be a writer.  she gets it when I say I need to write, and leaves me alone.  But there are also times she needs me, as well.

Last, but not least, of the six issues, are our two Boston Terriers, Calvin and Hobbes.  They love people.  It's nice when everyone's home, because the other people in the house can keep them entertained.  But when I'm alone with them, or I'm the only one downstairs, they want to be held, fed, or played with.  Calvin even cries to get attention.

With these six beings demanding my attention, it's been rough, at least, to get anything done.  I've worked on blogs and finally wrote two short stories (well, I'm working on the second one).  But writing time is limited.  I sit on my bed most evenings to work on the laptop.  When my kids make the three-corner turn from the door (around the bed to my side), I know it's going to be at least another hour before I can come back to what I'm doing.

So to my readers, I haven't forgotten you.  I have tons of plots in my head, but just can't get to them right now.  Hang in there, because those plots are 'ripening' in my brain and need to come out soon.  :)  And to my characters, just keep going with your ideas.  I love living with you in my head, because you're giving me an escape.  Thank you all!

Have a wonderful week!
Markee


No comments:

Post a Comment