Friday, September 19, 2014

A Million Dollar Book Plot

Have you ever sat back and said to yourself, 'I could write a book worth a million bucks?'  If you're an author, chances are, your answer is yes.  I'm not going to go into the pitfalls, because chances are, it won't happen, but think about what WOULD happen to you if that, indeed, came true.

So you write this book and you decided to go indie.  For some reason, word of mouth goes viral and you become a household name.  Your book sells hundreds for the first week, thousands the second week, and then tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands week after week until you sell at least a half a million books (for a $2.99 book, you get about $2 per book on Amazon).

Wow.  500,000 books sold.

What would your life be like?  I'm sure you're thinking of Amanda Hocking or Hugh Howey when you consider this.  These are two of the big sellers for indie books.

For me, I'm glad I'm rather anonymous.  My pen names are nothing like my real name.  I don't want people to talk about what I buy at the grocery store, or see me on the street eating a donut, for example (not that I can with my diabetes, but I can dream).

But if I sold that many books, chances are the big book publishers would wow me, like they did with Amanda Hocking, to get the books in print for her.

What would you do with that money?  I'd pay off our house, fix it up so it's actually not falling apart, and put the kids through college.  I'd also buy a new car (since mine has over 106,000 miles on it) and move to another state.  Then I'd sell our house where we are now, and live on a few acres out in the woods.  But then again, I'm an introvert.  I don't like being around tons of people.

I had a friend once, who would've loved to have been famous.  She wanted her books to be on the shelves and have people fawn over her. She wanted to be someone special.  I don't have that desire, myself.

How about you?  What would you do if you sold that many books? How would your life change?

No comments:

Post a Comment