Friday, October 17, 2014

What Would You Do With These Writing Prompts?

When I was a kid, my mom thought she'd spark our creativity.  She was a fourth grade teacher and would give her kids this prompt:

I swing as high as the clouds...

HUH?  Yeah.  I didn't bite at all on that one.  I wanted to write, 'So?  I fall off and die.'  Guess my days as a mystery writer started early or something.

But what if you got one of the following prompts?  What would you do with these?

1.  Everyone in the room stared at the newcomer, at least the part of its body they could actually see...

2.  'It's heading for us!  Get into the tornado shelter!'

3.  I was alone in the house, but my dogs thought otherwise.

4.  I'm from a hundred years in the future, where...

5.  I've traveled the world, but never have I seen something like...


What would you do?  Anything strike your fancy?  They don't have to be a full story, but just an idea to get someone started.

I think I'd start with the following:

1.  Everyone in the room stared at the newcomer, at least the part of its body they could actually see...

The being was invisible except for his smile, making me nickname him 'Cheshire Cat.'

2.  "It's heading for us!  Get into the tornado shelter!"
"We don't have a tornado shelter."
"Dig one using your superpowers.  We have three seconds until the giant alien gets here.  His stride is a mile a second, and...you're wasting time!"

3.  I was alone in the house, but my dogs thought otherwise.
"I hate when the ghosts are active during the day."

4.  I'm from a hundred years in the future, where...
...time has slowed down to a crawl, thanks to an invention that went wrong.

5.  I've traveled the world, but never have I seen something like...
...people eating stones to become stronger.

Any other ideas?

Have a great week!
Markee

No comments:

Post a Comment