Sunday, February 1, 2015

February Newsletter

It's February!
(Now where's that pesky groundhog?)


It's been cold, but we're under the totals for snow accumulation for this season.  Now that I wrote that, you just KNOW that pesky groundhog is going to see his shadow and make my life miserable with snow, right? But in about a month or so, it'll all be forgotten as spring makes its way into Wisconsin and the northern hemisphere.  I can hardly wait!  At least the days are getting longer!  Wahoo!

Check out last month's events, below.  What a fun month!

Have a wonderful February!
SweetTale Books





What happened in January?


Well, I put out a book by Kyra Myles at the end of the month:


Blurb:

Lucy George thought she was the luckiest girl alive. At 17, she was chosen by accident to become Daria Tuff's racing double, making Daria win a lot. However, Daria's a drama queen and now that she's in college, Lucy's had enough. It doesn't help that the NSA wants to recruit Lucy, or that her dad's loan shark wants to kidnap her for collateral. Luck has run out for Lucky Lucy…or has it?

Other information about this book is listed at http://kyramyles.com/lucygeorge.html.  

We also got another dog, to add to our two other Boston terrier 'pack' of dogs.  This one is named Webster (after Noah Webster, the dictionary guy) and is a Frenchton (1/2 French bulldog, 1/2 Boston terrier).  He's adorable!

Here's a picture of him:



See more about our three dogs at http://kookybostons.blogspot.com/.  I have youtube videos (learning how to do those) and still shots of the three dogs there.



Yummy Bread Recipe:
(Tricks to make it light)

I have this problem.  When I used to make bread (and my whole family LOVES bread) from scratch, it would come out as a brick.  No kidding.  It was ridiculous!  No matter what recipe I used, we could've built a house with the bread bricks I'd create.

Over Christmas, I figured it out.  I now know how to make the BEST bread that's light and airy.

So here's what you do.  Take any bread recipe and proof the yeast before you make it (I use a bread maker, because I'm lazy and don't want to take all day working on bread).  How do you do that?  Put the yeast in 110 degree water.  110--that's about 45 seconds or so for a cup of water in the microwave.  USE A THERMOMETER!  Yeast is not forgiving!  Before you add anything else to this yeast, make sure it gets a bit frothy on the top.  If you're like me and can't wait, add a bit of sugar (it loves sugar) and it'll froth faster.

I use this recipe (very good, by the way).  It makes one big bread machine loaf, or two smaller loaves if you cook it yourself.  For the yeast, I heat up the cup of water for a minute in a coffee mug, and then add 1/4 cup to cool it off to 110 degrees.

Ingredients:
1 pkg yeast
1 1/4 cups water (heated to 110 degrees)
------------------------------------
3 cups flour (bread flour)
2 tbsp butter, melted
½ tbsp salt
½ tbsp sugar

Directions:
Heat water and make sure it's 110 degrees. Add yeast.  Wait for it to froth.
Add other ingredients to breadmaker (I put the salt on the bottom, because yeast doesn't like salt.)
Add yeast and water to breadmaker.
NOTE:  If dry, add 1-2 tbsp milk or water to the dough when it mixes.  

Set to 1.5 pound loaf, medium and press go.  It should rise and be delicious when done.  If you bake it in the oven, set the oven to 350 and bake for about 30 minutes.



Where to keep up with me

For lots of fun things, I blog a LOT.  I have five blogs, posting them over six days out of the week.  See all the feeds here: http://sweettalebooks.com/mybloglist.html.

Have a wonderful month!!!  I'm off to work on something for Valentine's Day for the Paige Ryter name, IF I get it done in time.  :)

SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment