Friday, April 17, 2015

I write for ME!

Writing is a lonely business.  It also has its ups and many, many downs.  Every time a writer gets a bad review, it's as if someone pierced them in the heart or criticized their baby.  It hurts.  Some reviewers (also known as trolls) love to hurt other writers, for some unknown reason.  I don't get it, because I was taught if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.  But times have changed and it seems as if the bad comments get more merit.

I've learned from various traditional authors (published with NY publishers) that you don't HAVE to read the reviews.  You don't HAVE to listen to every critic out there trying to make a name for themselves by belittling others.

I've also learned that I love to write.  Even if I don't have the sales or reviews or can put 'best selling author' behind my pen names (the latest rage, by the way, in case you don't know it, even if it's not true), I love to write.

Thus, I now write for ME.  I write so I can share my stories with whomever wants to read them.  I even can forgive whomever is using Amazon as a lending library with my books.  They buy the book and within 7 days, return it.  This has been happening with every single title I've written.  I'm not the only author it's happening with, either.  But I can forgive that person.

Why?

Because, like I said before, I write for me.  I'm done checking my stats every day to see who's bought my book.  I'm done seeing if I get a bigger paycheck than last month.  I'm done competing with the other authors trying to get ahead.  I want to be happy, not stressed.  So my books are now my babies, not trying to fit into some other person's mold.

If you're an author, are you happy with what you do?  Do you write for you, or do you write for the industry, just to get sales?

If you're a reader, do you only read books that are promoted and heavily reviewed?  And did you realize that some of those reviews are paid reviews, just to get them higher on the Amazon charts?

I'm just stating fact.  I want to be happy.  What else can I ask for?  :)

Have a super week!
Markee

No comments:

Post a Comment