Friday, June 26, 2015

What's Up With All the Apostrophes?

I've trolled Facebook on occasion (not so much lately) and found so many 'new' uses for apostrophes.  For example, I saw the following:

To the one's I love

Um...apostrophes are used to indicate possession.  I don't think the writer owns the ones.  That's slavery, in my book.

Look at grammarbook.com and see the following in part 2b:

Rule 2b. Do not use an apostrophe + s to make a regular noun plural.
Incorrect: Apostrophe's are confusing.
Correct: Apostrophes are confusing.
Incorrect: We've had many happy Christmas's.
Correct: We've had many happy Christmases.
In special cases, such as when forming a plural of a word that is not normally a noun, some writers add an apostrophe for clarity.
Example: Here are some do's and don'ts.
In that sentence, the verb do is used as a plural noun, and the apostrophe was added because the writer felt that dos was confusing. Not all writers agree; some see no problem with dos and don'ts.

That's exactly what the user is doing.  They're adding apostrophes when it should be a plural.

Here's a great example page to explain it better:

(In case you can't see the picture, here's the link http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe.  GREAT illustration!):

Error: Embedded data could not be displayed.


In my mind, I replace the word with 'dogs' and see if that works (any noun will do, but dogs is short).  'To the dogs I love' looks much better than 'To the dog's I love' to me.  That goes for any place you think there should be an apostrophe.
So the next time you want to add an apostrophe, think to yourself...is it possession or is it plural?  Can you replace the noun with 'dogs' and would it work without the apostrophe?

Have a great week!
Markee

No comments:

Post a Comment