Friday, August 28, 2015

When Push Becomes Shove

Sometimes, we're forced to stand up for ourselves, or others walk all over us.  I see this in the writing industry a lot.  Publishers force writers to write a certain way, or create a certain book, or they won't publish anything from that author ever again.  Or people on social media harass authors to the point of them pulling books.

When does push become shove?  What's the limit to stop the pushing and  someone has to shove back?

I'm writing this because I know of quite a few people who seem to have no backbone.  They're unwilling to tell someone who's shoving them in a direction that it's not okay.  They don't know how to say 'no' in any instance.

Many of these people would make great characters because they never shove back.  I'm looking into this for my characters, to see how they react.  Is it normal to wait until the absolute breaking point before saying 'enough is enough'?

How far would you be willing to go before you push back?  Is it different in your personal life versus profession?  I'd love to have feedback on this, so if you can shed any light on what it takes to shove back, let me know.

Thanks!
Markee

No comments:

Post a Comment