Friday, August 14, 2015

Writing Organizations

Summer is conference time for various writing organizations.  People spend lots of money to travel to the conference, book a hotel, pitch a book to agents and editors, and buy the books on sale.  It's also a wonderful time to meet your favorite author and try to live up to their expectations.

I've seen many posts from various authors who are going to these conferences.  They think they have a chance at the golden ring.  But it's usually a pipe dream for authors, more like a 'get rich quick scheme' in my opinion.  Most of the published authors, in my opinion, were in the right place at the right time.  It had nothing to do with the writing organization or the conference.  Yes, an author can learn a lot from the classes, and I loved that part when I went to conferences, but thinking an author will get recognized at those things isn't going to happen.

So why belong to a writing organization if they don't help an author get noticed?  I asked myself that a few years ago when I belonged.  I took stock of what I needed from them, took classes online, and learned a lot.  I have that to be thankful for with the writing organization.  But otherwise, it was one of those 'good old boy' networks and I eventually dropped out.  I didn't need them anymore because in my opinion, I wasn't getting anything out of the money I had to fork out to belong.  Back then, if you didn't have a writing organization on your cover letter, you'd never be noticed by the top NY publishers.

But the times have changed.  As an Indie writer, I don't need writing organizations for a cover letter--I don't even need a cover letter or a synopsis for an agent or a publisher.

I also don't need to meet with other authors in a local writing group, because I've found it to be cliquish and rather snobbish.  The writers who have publishers look down on those who don't.  Just like at a conference, being at the right place at the right time is just luck.  And they got lucky to be with publishers, but they don't see it that way.

If you're paying to be with a writing organization and aren't getting anywhere, consider putting your well-earned money elsewhere.  Consider putting it toward marketing, covers and editing, or even feeding your family.  It'll work more to your advantage there than in an organization who is glorifying the big names instead of helping the small guy get noticed.

Have a great week!
Markee

No comments:

Post a Comment