Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Novel Characters--Judge Me, Judge Me Not

Every once in a while I come across the 'character of the week' in my travels.  That's someone I just HAVE to put in a book.

This week, I'm looking at the judgmental types.  I had a conversation over the phone with one of these and man, I couldn't win for anything.  The woman I was talking to should be a lawyer...the other side would be afraid of them, because she wins at all costs.

I'm going to call this woman W, for anonymity purposes.  W judges everyone.  If you disagree, she tells you you're an awful person and should be condemned.  If you agree, she tells you you're awful and should rethink your agreement.  There's a no win in talking to her, so when W's around, best thing to do is to be quiet and walk on eggshells.  No kidding.

If I were to write this character, I'd definitely make it a woman.  I'd have her gossiping about others and negative to everyone's face.  She'd make a great heroine, because she has a lot to lose--all her friends, family, and all of society.  She also has the most room for growth, because by the end of the book, she could've turned around and realized that she, herself, is being judged for being judgmental.  Fantastic but fixable character flaw.  She could even learn diplomacy and how to filter her thoughts.

Do you know anyone like this?

Have a great week!  Stay tuned for more!
SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment