Monday, December 7, 2015

Remembering December 7

In case you didn't realize it (and I'm no history buff...I'm terrible at remembering), December 7 is the 'date which will live in infamy,' when Pearl Harbor was bombed in 1941, which brought the U.S. into WWII.

Personally, my father-in-law fought in WWII.  He was a gunner, lying in the belly of the plane.  He flew over the White Cliffs of Dover and in that area of Europe.  He would've been 19 years old when Pearl Harbor was attacked.

My dad was too young to fight in WWII, but he was in the Korean Conflict era (born in 1930, on Clint Eastwood's birthday).

If you get a chance today, remember those who fought in the war and those who were stationed in Hawaii at that time.  I always think of the vets of that era when it comes to Dec. 7.  They fought hard and long for freedom, finally winning.

I can't even imagine how good they felt when they won.  The pictures of the celebrations in Time Square indicate their joy, especially the famous kiss.  That happened on August 14, 1945, on V-Day.

So, for all you WWII vets and descendants of vets, I'm thinking of you!  Thank you for your service.

And, if you know of any vets, write down their stories.  I wished I would've done that when my father-in-law and my dad told us of their stories before they both died.

Have a great week!  Stay tuned for more on this blog!
SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment