Thursday, December 17, 2015

Tis the Season...of Push and Shove

My dad used to say 'it's Christmas--the season of push and shove.'  He couldn't be more right about that.  Every year, it seems to get worse, at least in my mind.

So why does it have to be like this?  Why do we feel like we have to do it all?

I have a thought and it's a weird one, so bear with me.  What if we CHOSE to take life slower?  Instead of the shortest line at the store, we internationally choose the longest?  What if we actually went the speed limit instead of racing to the next destination?  And what if we actually smiled at others instead of snarled?  I wonder what would happen to our society?  Would it implode because it couldn't cope?

If you feel like you're always behind the eight-ball, try this idea.  I've been doing this for a few weeks and it really helps a lot with everything.

I make up a grid of what to do every day.  I have something like this example, but for every day of the week:


Day of Week Housework Writing Marketing Errands/Other

Monday Make meals
Clean house
2000 words on Christmas story Tweets
next week's tweets
Mail cards for Christmas
Clean garage
Call daughter

Tuesday Make meals
Clean house
2000 words on Christmas story Daily Tweets/FB Clean refrigerator
Call Mom

Wednesday Make meals
Clean house
2000 words on Christmas story Daily Tweets/FB Take dogs to fun camp
Water plants
Wrap all Christmas presents

Thursday Make meals
Clean house
2000 words on Christmas story Daily Tweets/FB Take out trash
Thursday night football
Make up grocery list
clip coupons

Friday Make meals
Clean house
bake bread
2000 words on Christmas story Daily Tweets/FB Grocery shopping
Mail packages


I put this into an Excel spreadsheet and print it out every week. Then I follow it as best I can. It reduces a LOT of stress for me and once I have my jobs done for the day, I have time to dream.  I have time to get rid of the push and shove and slow time down a bit.

As for choosing the longest line or going the speed limit, that gives me time to think.  My daughter calls it GTT--Great Think Time.  It's like savoring that one moment where time is there for the taking.

So slow down and give yourself the gift of time.  You'll thank yourself later!

Have a wonderful week!
SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment