Sunday, January 31, 2016

Marvel or D.C. Comics?

I've been watching a lot of Marvel and D.C. Comics television shows.

Here's an example:

Marvel:

  • Daredevil
  • Jessica Jones
  • Marvel's Agents of Shield
D.C.  Comics:
  • The Flash
  • Arrow
  • Legends of Tomorrow

When I was growing up, I wasn't a fan of these two types of comic books, so my background on the heroes is limited.  But now, there are all these television shows on regular television (like D.C. Comics on the CW) and on Netflix (Marvel, which also shows Agents of Shield on ABC).  It seems to me that the difference between the two comic/science fiction universes is very clearcut.

In D.C. Comics, the super heroes are happy and embrace their superpower for the most part (that is, except for Batman...he's a very dark character with no true superpower).  

Marvel's characters seem darker to me.  They like to hide their powers, using them to almost skirt the law.  They're more like vigilantes to me, compared to the D.C. Comics characters.  They also have more depth to the characters--at least in my opinion.

Others seem to agree with me, adding more:


The second article even goes so far as to say that Marvel is for adults, DC is just become more of an adult line of characters.

Interesting.  I, personally, prefer the Marvel line, but that's not to say the DC line isn't good, because it is.  My husband watches all those shows.  But to me, they seem more like a soap opera for teens.  Marvel's is more like the show Luther (on Netflix--excellent British cop show), where you just don't know what's coming next.

Just my take on the two.

Have a great week!
Markee/SweetTale Books



No comments:

Post a Comment