Friday, January 29, 2016

What bugs you in books?

I was reading a fiction book a few years back, happily going along with the plot until whammo--the author spewed out his own personal political beliefs, belittling anyone on the other side of the spectrum (me, actually).  Ticked me off so much, I refused to read the rest.

The author was a friend of mine.  How do I tell him I don't appreciate being belittled in a book, because I don't agree with his politics?  I didn't.  We lost touch.  I don't deal with him any longer, which is really sad.

What bugs you in books?  For me, it's politics, swear words, and sex scenes that aren't warranted--they have no reason to be there except for shock value.  Same with drug scenes and extremely detailed murder scenes.  Not necessary and doesn't propel the plot at all.  Now, if the swear words, for example, show how a character develops, going from a crass beast to an educated human being, then by all means, bring it on.  It shows character arc.  But if it's just to debase the story and pull the reader from the story--forget about it.

Actually, any time there's a scene that doesn't fit, or doesn't go with the plot, is more than annoying.  I, personally, don't like reading a lot of narration.  I don't need a detailed description of every room in a house, especially if the character is just running through to escape a murderer.  Unless it adds to the plot, it doesn't need to be there.

There are exceptions, of course.  I just finished writing a scene that describes how a woman makes the best apple pie, just to show that she's an overachiever.  She goes WAY overboard in this pie, but I limited the description as much as possible, just to get my point across of overachieving.

What about you?  What do you really hate to see in a book?

Have a great week!
Markee/SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment