Thursday, January 21, 2016

Why Should I Read???

I got to thinking...why read a book?  What good does it do if you can just watch the movie?  I remember my mom telling me to read (she was an elementary school teacher) because it was better for you than watching television.  But why?

I turned to the Internet and found these articles:


8 Benefits of Reading (or Ways Reading Makes You Better at Life)
10 Benefits of Reading: Why You Should Read Every Day
8 Science-Backed Reasons to Read a (Real) Book
Why To Read: 10 Reasons Why Reading Books Will Save Your Life
12 Scientific Ways Reading Can Actually Improve Your Life
Benefits of Reading: Getting Smart, Thin, Healthy, Happy
6 Science-Backed Reasons To Go Read A Book Right Now
When You Start To Read More, These 10 Things Will Happen


Wow.  As it turns out, reading does this for you:


  • makes you smarter
  • reduces stress
  • creates tranquility
  • improves analytical thinking
  • increases vocabulary
  • improves memory
  • improves writing skills
  • helps prioritize goals
  • mental stimulation
  • increases knowledge
  • improved focus and concentration
  • free entertainment (go to a library and get free books, or get free books online)
  • boosts brain power
  • makes you more empathetic and improves relationships
  • may help fight Alzheimer's disease--enhances memory and keeps your brain young
  • can help you relax
  • before bed, can help you sleep
  • it's a hobby and it's contagious
  • enjoy the arts and improve the world
  • makes you interesting and attractive
  • lets you discover and create yourself
  • makes you want to learn something new
  • people who read are more likely to vote, exercise, and be more cultural
  • puts you in a better mood
  • makes you seem sexier
  • readers are more likely to get ahead in their careers and in life
  • you're more likely to workout longer if reading while exercising
  • encourages life goals
  • helps you feel more connected
  • can help you save cash (cheaper than a movie or other entertainment venues)
  • can ease depression
  • a safe way to escape
  • you'll find a family in the group of readers in the world
  • you'll become part of a global conversation
  • you'll look forward to lines, layovers, and waiting rooms (love this one)
  • you'll become more imaginative and less afraid of being weird (fantastic concept)

Wow.  Reading is a must do after seeing this list!  What a way to improve every facet of your life!

I saw one article where a person read 52 books in a year...that's a book a week.  Here's the article:  How to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks and Save Yourself $21,000  They saved money by learning the information for a college degree in books instead of going to college.  However, that's not the most important thing I took away from that article.  This guy read those books and said:

'In this guy’s opinion, I learned more about life, success, philosophy, myself, other people, and the world around me in one year of reading then I have in my entire 8-year career in school. I fully enjoyed every single moment of it because not only I was doing something I felt was contributing to my own personal development, but was also allowing me to share valuable information with others that could help them as well.'

Interesting.  Even a book a month would be better than nothing.

So what are you waiting for???  If you want to read a book a week, SweetTale Books has more than 52 fiction books just waiting for you to crack open.  Email me if you're ready to take that challenge.  I'd love to know that you're excited about it!

Have a great week!
Markee/SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment