Thursday, February 11, 2016

Adventures of a Dead Battery

Ever have your car out of commission?  That was me last week...Thursday, to be exact, one week ago.  Actually, it started on Wednesday.  I was in the car, all ready to get MORE ice melt (100 pounds of it apparently wasn't enough).  I turned the key and heard 'click, click, click.'  Drat.  Called husband.  He threw up his hands, over the phone.  No help. When he came home from work, we tried to jump start the thing, with the owners manual and two different websites to help learn how to jump start a car.  It's not that we've never done this before, but this is a 'new-to-us' car (my car--a used 2011 Subaru Forester) and I didn't even know how to pop the hood.  Great car owner there.

Jump start didn't work.  Called tow company.  He wanted the car in neutral to put it on the flatbed (since it's an AWD, apparently it can't be just towed).  Couldn't put it in neutral with a dead battery.  So he jump started it...and it worked.  Husband drove the car around the block, no problem.  So the tow guy left.

Next morning, car is deader than a doornail.  Marley's ghost was more alive.  Thus, the tow company was called again, since we tried to jump start it and yet again, it didn't work (we must be doing something wrong, but two websites and an owner's manual CAN'T be wrong).  Tow company has two tow trucks...and both were called to a 5-car pile up in Green Bay on a major road.  After quite a bit of waiting, the lump of a paperweight in my garage finally was towed to the dealership, the battery was replaced, and life was back to normal.  YAY!

Anyway, the point is this.  When your car's out of commission and you're used to having it around, you feel like your left arm has been cut off.  I'm right-handed, and you'd think I wouldn't need that left arm, but I do.  I couldn't do anything, couldn't even concentrate.  Need milk?  I'll just run out and...oh, wait.  No car.  Strike that.  Use water or grape juice instead.  Ever have grape juice on cereal?

It reminds me of writing, believe it or not.  When there's a plot hole that you know you have to fix but can't because it'll unravel your entire book, it's that elephant in the room that won't go away.  Like the paperweight in the garage.  You just wait it out and see what happens.

I hope your week is going well!  I also hope you don't have anything hanging over your head like a dead car or a dead plot.  :)

Markee/SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment