Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Ever Heard of Mondegreens?

Ever sung along to a song and you THINK you know the words?  But someone in the car (my kids are really good at this) corrects you?  Then you fight and have to look it up and lo and behold, you're wrong?  That's called 'Mondegreens.'  It's a fancy scientific word for 'you don't know the words to that song, Jack.'

Here's a whole article on it:

Why You Mishear Song Lyrics


Turns out, our brains are trying to make sense out of words that aren't very clear.

I did this once and STILL sing the wrong words to this song: (This is the official video, so I'm including it here:)




The words are supposed to be:

"Free To Be Me"

At twenty years of age
I'm still looking for a dream
A war's already waged
For my destiny
But you've already won the battle
And you've got great plans for me
Though I can't always see

'Cause I got a couple dents in my fender
Got a couple rips in my jeans
Try to fit the pieces together
But perfection is my enemy
On my own I'm so clumsy
But on your shoulders I can see
I'm free to be me

When I was just a girl
I thought I had it figured out
My life would turn out right
And I'd make it here somehow
But things don't always come that easy
And sometimes I would doubt

'Cause I got a couple dents in my fender
Got a couple rips in my jeans
Try to fit the pieces together
But perfection is my enemy
On my own I'm so clumsy
But on your shoulders I can see
I'm free to be me

And you're free to be you

Sometimes I believe
That I can do anything
Yet other times I think
I've got nothing good to bring
But you look at my heart and you tell me
That I've got all you seek
And it's easy to believe
Even though

'Cause I got a couple dents in my fender
Got a couple rips in my jeans
Try to fit the pieces together
But perfection is my enemy
On my own I'm so clumsy
But on your shoulders I can see
I'm free to be me

What did I sing, very loudly, in my car while taking my kids to school one day?

This part:
Got a couple rips in my jeans

Became:

GOT A COUPLE BRICKS IN MY JEANS.

No kidding.  The kids just howled.

Have you ever done that, certain you knew the words, but as it turned out, you had no clue?  I do that all the time.  Now, at least, I know what it's called, even though I'm sure I'll never remember it:  Mondegreens.  Or, if you're like me, you'll call it, 'Monday Greens.'  LOL!

 Have a great week!
Markee/SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment