Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Fine Line Between Sappy and Touching

I'm working on a Christian romance right now (actually, it's done and I'm editing it) that's the fifth book in the series (Three Cross Faith, for you fans).  I worked hard on it, and realized, when I was done, that it wasn't touching enough.  It didn't make me cry when I read it.  I even told my daughter and future son-in-law (I'm pretty sure they're going to get married some day) about it and they laughed.

But for romances, they have to be touching or the author's not doing their duty.  However, do they have to be sappy while being touching?  No.  But there's a fine line there, between sappy and touching.  If they're sappy, instead of making the reader truly feel for the character, they laugh at how stupid the scene is.

What is sappy, you ask?  It's a scene that's so emotional, and so sweet, you want to puke.  It would never happen in real life.  But everyone has a different idea of what's sappy and what's just touching.  Therefore, there's a fine line of how to write it in a book.

For the fifth book in this series, I took the less sappy path, the more touching direction, but didn't dwell in the thought for long.  I figured I could have some people touched, yet not turn off others with the sappiness of the moment.

What about you?  Do you like reading sappy books that make you cry because they're filled with emotion that could never happen in real life?  Or do you like it to be real, yet just a bit emotionally touching?


Have a great week!
Markee/SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment