Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Homemade Bread. Yum.

Imagine this...you wake up to the scent of homemade bread that just came out of the oven.  That yeasty goodness that you smell...could it be fairies baking in the middle of the night, or just your bread maker signaling that it's done?  That'd make a cool story.

Yum.  Hot bread out of the oven.  Nothing like it.

I bake bread at LEAST once a week in my bread maker, sometimes more.  Using the manual dough recipe, I bake six tiny loaves at a time and freeze them, since we don't have many people left in the house.  I put the frozen loaves out in a plastic bag in the morning and by dinner, voila...fresh bread.  Sometimes, I even warm it in the oven for dinner.  Nothing quite like it.  Delicious!

Here's my latest version (using a bread maker). 

Here's a picture of the breadmaker and the pan I use for 6 rolls.  If you want to make 12, use a muffin tin (like in the recipe).



It's to-die-for and easy to make (or I wouldn't do it):

Yummy Rolls

Ingredients/directions:

Add to bread maker and let proof (get frothy):
1 heaping tsp yeast (about 1 1/4 tsp)
1/2 cup milk, warmed (80-100 degrees, about 30 seconds in microwave)
1 tbsp sugar

Then add:
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp honey
3 tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp salt

Put the salt in last, in a corner so it doesn't touch the yeast.  Yeast hates salt.

Let the breadmaker work on ‘manual’ setting.  When done, take it out and divide it into 12 greased (use Pam) muffin tin holes (or 6, like I did).  Let rise again to about double.

Here's a picture of what it looks like when rising again.  I covered it with a tea towel, and set it on top of the cold stove (not heated) to rise.


This is what it looks like after it rises for about an hour (or less, depending on how warm your home is):



Bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes or until brown.

This is what it looks like baked.  I let it cool just a bit before removing them from the pan.




These are delicious!  If you have a bread maker, you can do this.  I put a little bit of butter on the top.



If you don't, you can STILL do this, by beating the ingredients on your own (it takes a bit of elbow grease to mix it), letting it rise twice (punching it down after doubling the first time), and baking.

I'm thinking of a plot for this recipe, to incorporate it into a short story.  Hmmm....

Have a great week!
SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment