Monday, March 21, 2016

When Characters Attack

So I was writing a scene and all of a sudden, I had the urge to have one character attack another one.  Ever have that happen, where your story derails itself from the original plan?  Don't trash the new stuff...it's usually better than the original, or so I've found.

With a knock-down, drag-out fight (two women fighting over one man), someone's bound to get hurt.  That ups the ante for drama in a story.  Keep it.

But is there a psychological reason these characters attacked each other?  Could it be because my kids were crying about their lives yet again, over the phone?  Could be.  Or did I need a jolt of action in my life, since things are rather boring?  Yep.  That makes sense, too.

If your characters get out of hand, keep the camera rolling.  See where it goes.  It may not lead to anything, but it might be just what your plot needed--more conflict.

Have a great week!
SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment