Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Feeling Old?

Lately, I've been wearing a 2.6 pound boot on my foot.  (Yes, I weighed it, not believing it was ONLY 2.6 pounds).  I have arthritis on the top of my foot, with bone spurs.  In other words, ouch.  I went to the orthopedic surgeon, thinking he'd jump at the chance to slice and dice my foot and bones, but no...instead he put me through the torture of feeling old with a boot on my foot.

Why would that make you feel old?

Let me explain.  I went to the place on a Monday morning.  Every old person in the universe was there, I think.  I saw more gray-headed people in one place than you can imagine (and yes, I have gray hair but am still dying it so I look younger).  Didn't bother me because since I stay home all day, I deal with old people in the marketplace more than young people (they're all at work).

I went inside the office, and the doc took one look at the X-Rays and my foot.  "Arthritis," he said.  When I hear that word, I think 'old.'  But I took it in stride.  "We'll treat it like a stress fracture to see if that helps."  Sounding better to me.  If anyone asks, I can honestly say, 'he's treating it like a STRESS FRACTURE,' emphasizing stress fracture.  Then he gave me this HUGE peg-leg boot to wear and sent me on my way.

This is where it gets dicey.  While wearing this new weight on my foot, I hobbled back out into the waiting room to sign out.  This really old woman approached me.  She said, 'what's wrong with you?'

Umm..."I'm being treated for something like a stress fracture-like arthritis."

"Are you sure it's not gout?  I have gout.  Don't eat red meat.  Your gout will go away."

No kidding.

Gout?  Who gets gout these days?  Wasn't that a disease, say, back in the 1800s or something?  Or, if you're reading between the lines, OLD PEOPLE???

Thus, I'm now feeling old.  I don't get around as well as I used to.  My hair is really gray and without dye, I'd look a LOT older.  My glasses are bifocals.  I can't hear as well as a 20-year old, apparently, according to the show Brain Games.  I can't even remember simple things (like why I took two steps to the refrigerator) some of the time.

Now that I've had my whine, here's some cheese.  LOL!  I look at people at LOT older than I am, and see that they're happy.  Is it because they've forgotten how to be worried or upset, or is it because they're happy they're alive that day?

Regardless, we have a choice.  We can choose to feel old and look our age, or pretend to be happy and seem younger than we are.  I choose the latter.  Now to get this boot off my foot so I feel that way, too!

Have a great week!
SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment