Thursday, April 14, 2016

Metaphors and Similes that Don't Work

Lately, I've been seeing more and more metaphors and similes in snippets on social media.  What's up with that?  Most of them are really bad, and I have to like them and share them because they're so bad, they're funny.  However, the original poster has no idea I'm laughing because I'm not a mean-natured person, but I do enjoy a good chuckle.

Before I go on, I need to tell you what I'm talking about.  By definition, a metaphor is 'a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance.'

So, for example, 'That sign is food for thought' or 'you are my sunshine' are both metaphors.

A simile is defined to be a figure of speech in which two unlike things are explicitly compared, as in “she is like a rose.”.  The word 'like' is important in a simile.  While a simile may seem like a metaphor it actually allows two things to be compared while remaining distinct. -- (50 Metaphor Examples for Kids)

Some of the contrasts I read were metaphors but most were similes. They were hilarious.  I'm not going to quote any here, because that's just mean.  But if you're a writer, know that other people might not appreciate comparing someone's eyes to a dark sky with a moon in the middle.

Here are a few hilarious similes.  I laughed and laughed at these:

56 best/worst similes used in high school exams…



Enjoy!
SweetTale Books


 

No comments:

Post a Comment