Saturday, April 16, 2016

Writing: Gender Specific Communication

I've been listening...well, reading emails (long ones) from our youngest daughter lately.  She definitely has female communication skills.  She tells me, in detail, about conversations between her new-found friends and how they all interact.


It made me wonder, in writing, how I can make my characters more believable.

According to this article, Male and Female Communication Styles (I summarized and put the information in a table):


I found this really interesting:
Because the man and the woman spend the bulk of their words in different areas with different purposes, they might not communicate as much when they are together as the woman would prefer, writes Tanner. It can help couples to plan time for nurturing conversation if lack of intimate conversation is causing the woman to feel alone or distanced from her partner.
Keep this in mind when you write characters.  Men and women are different.

Have a great week!
SweetTale Books
--------------------------------------------------
References:
Male and Female Communication Styles




No comments:

Post a Comment