Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Productivity Problems?

I stumbled across this article this past week:

6 things you didn’t know were making you less productive [infographic]

In this article, it talks about how we're all overworked but less productive.  We work more hours but get less done.  I can see how this happens, because I'm living that problem (at least that's how I perceive it).

Here are a few things I found in this article.  I also take it a bit farther.  Are you guilty of any of these?


  • Writing out a list of things to do takes time.  Some people spend HOURS on writing a to-do list, wasting all that time.  I also get phone calls from my kids (or emails) whining about how they have no time to do things, but they waste over an hour calling or writing pages and pages in the email about how much they have to do.  Ridiculous, if you ask me!
  • Multitasking.  I'm guilty of this and nothing ever gets done right if I'm doing this.  But I've decided in this world, we're constantly bombarded with interruptions that we have no choice but to multitask.  It's making me more and more ADD in the long run, where I can't concentrate for very long on anything, always waiting for some other interruption.
  • Saying yes to everything. (My hand's up--GUILTY!).  I take on things I don't know how to do, just to please others.  I hate it, but do it anyway.  Why?  I have no idea.  But that's another interruption in my production.
  • Working through breaks.  I do this all the time--eating while working.  I usually end up eating more because I'm not watching what I'm eating, but thinking about work.  Since I'm multitasking, I don't get my work done well.  Frustrating!

I'm going to try to work on this, but sometimes, it's just not feasible to carve out a chunk of time to just work.  Between the kids, my husband, and the dogs, I can't get a break.  LOL!  As I sit here writing this, Webster (our Frenchton) is whining for me to pet him.  Interruptions and multitasking seem to be my way of life.

Have a good day!
SweetTale Books


No comments:

Post a Comment