Monday, May 23, 2016

Southern Sayings

I love the south.  I'd love to live there again, and miss the heat and the people.  So many of my stories take place in the south, well at least, south of here.  Most of the country is south of Green Bay, WI, so south takes on a whole new meaning when living here.

When writing about Texas, for example, I like to throw in southern sayings.  I've found a few websites that include southern sayings that just crack me up.

Here are a few examples of ones I found.  The weird thing is I heard all these examples growing up in Pennsylvania!  My parents were from PA, so they must've heard someone from the south and used these phrases, themselves.

From 40 Southern phrases explained:

Catawompus (means sideways)
Cain't Never Would (means you never will if you don't try--also 'Can't never tried')


If you don't stop that crying, I'll give you something to cry about! (my dad used to say this ALL the time)
Hotter than blue blazes.
Quit your piddlin' and get to work! (that means quit wasting time and get to work)

From Southern Sayings Page
Barking up the wrong tree. (you are wrong)
Don't bite off more than you can chew. (attempt what you can accomplish)
Don't count your chickens until they hatch. (first know the results)

COW LICK- hair standing out on one's head.
HOLD YOUR HORSES- (be patient)
PIDDLE- waste time, doing nothing
SPRING CHICKEN- young thing
WORRY-WART- one who is annoying

From 15 Southern American Sayings That Will Amuse Brits:
All get out: You’ll hear this tacked on the end of a variety of expressions, and it means “extremely.” “She’s as smart as all get out” or “It was as loud as all get out”. Its origins are unknown. Brits might say “like/as anything” in similar situations—“He’s as fast as anything.”

***


So when I write things from the south, sometimes I throw in sayings I've collected through the years.

One that I'm pretty sure came from when I lived in North Carolina is a 'buggy.' It means grocery cart. I used that tidbit after we lived there and my friends in the new location would just laugh at me.  I also use 'clicker' for remote control.  Supposedly, that's southern speak?

Gotta love the south, though.  I truly miss it!


Have a good day!
SweetTale Books
---------------------------------------------

References:
40 Southern phrases explained
Funny Southern Sayings, Expressions, and Slang
Southern Sayings Page
15 Southern American Sayings That Will Amuse Brits

No comments:

Post a Comment