Friday, May 6, 2016

Yummy Chocolate Chess Pie

This week, I'm making chocolate chess pie (for Mother's Day).  It has nothing to do with chess, but a LOT to do with chocolate.  Can't go bad there, eh?

I'm basing my recipe on this web page:  Chocolate Chess Pie II from All Recipes

I make 4 small pie shells from this recipe.  Here's the recipe from the website:


Ingredients:

1 1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 eggs
1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
4 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
Unbaked pie crust  (I made homemade, using one 9-inch dough for one pie)


Directions:


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Put the pie dough into the shells.  To make a nice border, I put circles of colored dough on the edges.  It turned out like petals of a flower.
  • Mix sugar and cocoa together, then beat in the eggs.  Add milk, melted butter, and vanilla and mix well.
  • Pour into four unbaked pie shells.  Cook for 40-45 minutes or until set.
  • Let cool before serving.  Great with whipped cream on the top!

Pictures: 

Here are the cut out petals.  I put food coloring in the leftover dough.  Because of the butter, it turns out almost marbled.  I used a decorating tip to make the circles (the bottom is a tiny circle).


Here's the finished product. I made one with just pie dough (not colored--in the back, on the left) so you can see the difference.



Sometimes, the top 'breaks' and sinks.  Not to worry...it still tastes good.  It's almost like a brownie pie.


And here's an up close 'flower.'
YUMMY!  I like whipped cream on the top.  :)




Have a great week!
SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment