I'm basing my recipe on this web page: Chocolate Chess Pie II from All Recipes
I make 4 small pie shells from this recipe. Here's the recipe from the website:
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
4 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
Unbaked pie crust (I made homemade, using one 9-inch dough for one pie)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the pie dough into the shells. To make a nice border, I put circles of colored dough on the edges. It turned out like petals of a flower.
- Mix sugar and cocoa together, then beat in the eggs. Add milk, melted butter, and vanilla and mix well.
- Pour into four unbaked pie shells. Cook for 40-45 minutes or until set.
- Let cool before serving. Great with whipped cream on the top!
Here are the cut out petals. I put food coloring in the leftover dough. Because of the butter, it turns out almost marbled. I used a decorating tip to make the circles (the bottom is a tiny circle).
Here's the finished product. I made one with just pie dough (not colored--in the back, on the left) so you can see the difference.
Sometimes, the top 'breaks' and sinks. Not to worry...it still tastes good. It's almost like a brownie pie.
And here's an up close 'flower.'
YUMMY! I like whipped cream on the top. :)
Have a great week!