Friday, July 8, 2016

Cows, Sheep, and Chickens?

I love these types of puzzles, because I can do them.  But can you?

Here's the puzzle: (it's from PUZZLED: These 15 Head-Scratchers Are Going Viral… Here’s Why)


Can you figure it out?


----------------------------------
Here's the answer (warning--spoiler!)

Cow - Sheep = 2Chicken
Chicken + 3Sheep = Cow
Cow + Chicken = ?

Substituting Cow from row 2 into row 1:

Chicken + 3Sheep -Sheep = 2Chicken
Chicken + 2Sheep = 2Chicken
2Sheep = Chicken


From row 1 (substituting 2Sheep in for Chicken):

Cow - Sheep = 2(2Sheep)
Cow - Sheep = 4Sheep
Cow = 5Sheep

Cow + Chicken then is 5Sheep + 2Sheep = 7Sheep

Here's what they say is the answer:

9. One cow = 10, one sheep = two and one chicken = four. So one cow plus one chicken = 14, or seven sheep.

How they got those numbers is beyond me.  Any guesses?  I figured out the 7Sheep part, but unless you guess at the substitution, I don't think there's a way to figure out the numbers.

I asked two of my children (the third sleeps in during the day).  One of the kids has a degree in math and computer science and the other is working on her degrees in math and history.  I wanted to recheck my work, because if you don't use what you've learned, you lose it (and I've lost it, big time).

They both agreed with me, even saying that there are multiple answers to this.  You could say the following:

Cow = 5
Sheep = 1
Chicken = 2

Proof:
Cow - Sheep = 2Chicken
Chicken + 3Sheep = Cow
Cow + Chicken = 7Sheep

by substituting:
5 - 1 = 2(2)  OR 4 = 4 checks out.
2 + 3(1) = 5  OR 5 = 5 checks out
5 + 2 = 7(1)  OR 7 = 7 checks out.

OR

Cow = 20
Sheep = 4
Chicken = 8

20 - 4 = 2(8)  OR 16 = 16 checks out.
8 + 3(4) = 20  OR 20 = 20 checks out
20 + 8 = 7(4)  OR 28 = 28 checks out.

OR any multiple of Cow = 5, Sheep = 1, Chicken = 2.

Also, there is no way they could've solved the equations for 'numbers' instead of just the animal names, without just guessing.

Wow.  Now I feel smart. LOL!

Have a great day!
SweetTale Books


No comments:

Post a Comment