Monday, July 11, 2016

Giving Just Enough

When I wrote the book, 'Sweet Love of Texas,' I wanted to give the main character a disease that threatened her life.  Considering one of the main band members is a neurosurgeon, it was kind of a no-brainer (no pun intended).

So, Callie, the main character, was given a brain tumor.  I knew nothing about brain tumors and the less I know, the better, I think.  But I did massive research on the disease, to find out how they operate, the types of brain tumors, etc.  I probably could've gone into an operating room and told the doc what he was doing, I learned that much (well, almost).

When it came time to write the book, what did I want to share?  Did I want to go into detail about how they operate (it's a little gruesome) or just give enough to give the reader the idea?  Also, in the book, Austin (the surgeon) had created this new way to operate on brain tumors.  He was famous for it, but didn't think anything about it.  What was my idea for the 'new way' that would sound impressive and not just made up?  And yes, I thought about this at length.  I came up with a solution but didn't write it all down so trolls wouldn't harass me.  The solution involves not cutting into the brain very much but using a very very thin type of straw to get to where it needs to be.  Thus, when I was writing, I imagined it in my brain, but didn't put it into the book.  It wasn't necessary, to get my point across.

I gave just enough information to sound credible, but didn't go into detail so it didn't become a medical textbook.  The story isn't about the brain tumor, but I needed enough to progress the story.

So when you write, remember, it's about the story and not the minute details.  No one cares about the little things and information dump, unless it's related to the story itself.

Have a great day!
SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment