Monday, July 25, 2016

Is This Series Cursed?

Here's a weird one for you that I just can't explain.

I have a series called 'Extreme Travel,' where a group of rag-tag CIA members go out and take care of problems world wide.  They don't have super-gadgets or do weird stunts, but just do what it takes to get the job done.  The main character is Kes Madrid, and it's written from her point of view.

When I first started writing the books, I started with Zimbabwe since it was one of the most corrupt places in the world.  I wrote another 10 books fast, all taking place in problem countries.

The first one 'Get Me Out of Africa,' published in 2011.  There are always problems in that country, but at that time, there were beatings and murders for anyone opposing the government.  I didn't even know about that when I put that book out.

The second one (Voo Do Love Me!) takes place in Haiti.  I wanted to publish that one right after the first one, but had to wait, since there had just been a big earthquake in Haiti, killing over 300,000 people and leaving millions homeless.  I put a disclaimer in the front of that book:

The characters and events surrounding the plot of this story are fictional.
 The story is based on the state of the political climate of the country at the time of writing, which was in 2005, before the big earthquake on Tuesday, January 12, 2010.
 Since that time, things have changed for the worse compared to what the author describes in this story.  But be well aware that the author is following all news stories coming out of Haiti, worried for the well-being of that country.
 Other than the names of some of the towns, most of the rest of the story only live in the mind of the author.  Extensive research has been done to make the story seem authentic.

The third book, 'Do You Need a Doggie Bag?' takes place on a cruise ship.  Just a few months before I published that one, theCosta Concordia cruise ship ran aground, killing dozens.

I moved on to the Philippines (Please Don't Blow Up the Neighbors).  That one also has a disclaimer at the front of the book because of the huge typhoon that killed over 6,000 people.

Here's the disclaimer for that book:

Disclaimer:
 The characters and events surrounding the plot of this story are fictional.  The story is based on the state of the political climate of the country at the time of writing.  Other than the names of some of the towns, most of the rest of the story only live in the mind of the author.  Extensive research has been done to make the story seem authentic.
 My heart goes out to the victims of the 2013 typhoon named both Typhoon Haiyan and Typhoon Yolanda.  This book was written years before that typhoon hit, but I've waited to publish this story until cleanup had begun in that country.  

Book 5 (The Waterfall Coup) takes place in Venezuela.  If you aren't following the news, they have a mess down there.  They have horrible inflation and shortages of everything.  I had no idea when I wrote it that there would ever be a problem there.

Now I'm ready to publish a book that takes my team to Turkey (Questionable Job Security).  Have you read the news lately about Turkey?  They had a coup attempt by their own military.  I need to wait a bit to put this one out, I think.

See a pattern?  I think that series is cursed:

Book 1: Get Me Out of Africa, takes place in Zimbabwe -- human rights problems, killing and torture
Book 2: Voo Do Love Me!, takes place in Haiti -- big earthquake
Book 3: Do You Need a Doggie Bag?, takes place in Mexico on cruise ship -- cruise ship runs aground
Book 4: Please Don't Blow Up the Neighbors, takes place in Philippines -- big typhoon kills
Book 5: The Waterfall Coup, takes place in Venezuela -- economic disaster, food shortages
Book 6: Questionable Job Security, takes place in Turkey -- attempted military coup.


This series seems to be cursed!  After Turkey, they're heading off to Europe (mostly in France and England), then Kenya, Laos, China, and Canada for the other books I have written.  France already has problems.  I wonder if the rest will, too?

Or is it that I just pick places that are already prone to bad problems and by default, they happen anyway?  I have no idea, but the thought is scary.

Have a great day!
SweetTale Books



No comments:

Post a Comment