Here are 20 ways to make your character appear to be mean:
- Have them take something that isn't theirs.
- Have them lie about something.
- Argue with another character over something trivial.
- Make them politically correct, calling out anyone who doesn't agree with them.
- Have them physically hurt someone else.
- Have the rest of the community afraid of this character.
- Have the meanie abuse someone psychologically.
- Make the meanie avoided at all costs.
- They need to have one character flaw that makes them human, but they hate it. Just mentioning it makes them fly off the handle.
- They think they're in charge and have to control others.
- They're fighting for or against something that happened in their past.
- They think they have to prove themselves.
- They put others down to make themselves look good.
- The meanie will stoop to any level, even framing someone else.
- They blame others for their inadequacies.
- The meanie uses others to get ahead, or to get what they want out of life.
- No one else matters but the meanie, in their mind.
- Morals don't matter, but anything underhanded and sneaky is the norm.
- The meanie has no self-worth, no self-discipline, and is rather spoiled.
- They blame others for everything,sometimes even transferring their faults by saying it's someone else who did it, and not them.
Yes, I know quite a few meanies, as you might be able to tell. However, they make a great character in a book, especially when retribution happens from someone higher up on the social scale. Gotta love revenge in a story.
Have a great day!