Friday, September 23, 2016

Affect vs. Effect

I don't know about you, but I mess these two words up more often than I should.  So when do you use affect and when do you use effect?

To the Internet I went and found this:

From:  Spelling: Common Words that Sound Alike, I found:

Affect, Effect
  • affect = verb meaning to influence:
Will lack of sleep affect your game?
  • effect = noun meaning result or consequence:
Will lack of sleep have an effect on your game?
  • effect = verb meaning to bring about, to accomplish:
Our efforts have effected a major change in university policy.
A memory-aid for affect and effect is RAVENRemember, Affect is a Verb and Effect is a Noun.

So here's what works (from Affect/Effect Spelling Exercise

Correct answers are in bold.
1. Wars affect everybody, and their destructive effects last for generations.
2. Television has a strong effect on public opinion.
3. My mood can affect my thinking, too.
4. I see that you're trying to affect apathy, but I know that you really do care.
5. Falling on my head had a bad effect on my memory.
6. His years of smoking have negatively affected his health.
7. This plan will surely effect significant improvements in our productivity.
8. The patient shows normal affect and appears to be psychologically stable.
9. The principal's new rules affected the school.
10. Supply and demand have a direct effect on the prices of commodities.
11. The effect of the speech was visible on the faces of the sleeping audience.
12. He's just trying to seem cool; his indifference is completely affected.
13. We may never know the full effect of the radiation leak.
14. The early frost will affect the crops.
15. What kind of effect can this quiz have on your dinner tonight?

Fantastic to know!  Now I just have to remember it.  :)

Have a great day!
SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment