Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Meet the Man With the It Factor

When I first starting writing romance, I had a mentor in my writing circles who taught me invaluable lessons.  One of the things she taught me was to make my male heroes have the 'it factor.'  I'd never heard this before, but I now understand it.

For a hero to have the 'it factor,' he has to have a type of compassion that appeals to women.  He has to actually listen and be a great communicator.  He has to have a type of charisma and confidence yet be fun-loving and caring.  It's not something that's easy to pull off, and it's tough to learn.

Here are a few things that I found in my research that make sense for the guy with the 'it factor' that women love:


  • confident, but not cocky
  • focused on others, not on themselves
  • great storytellers and public speakers
  • interesting and interested in others
  • authentic and engaging
  • optimistic, assertive, and yet caring

It's all about attitude and caring about others.  Some jobs lend themselves more toward this type of attitude, where the person's job is to care about others.  Some of these jobs include doctors, police officers, ministers, counselors, psychologists, teachers, and so on.  If you notice, many romance novels include these professions for the hero, because it gives the heroine a warm feeling about the hero. 



Have a great day!
SweetTale Books

Reference:

Defining the IT-Factor
In Search of the ‘IT’ Factor
The It Factor and How to Get It: Becoming a Master Communicator

No comments:

Post a Comment