Monday, September 19, 2016

Research: Laos

In one of my unpublished books for the Extreme Travel series, I take my characters to Laos.  Wow.  When I did research for this country, I realized that it really has issues.

Here's what I found:

(from Google Maps):



Laos is in Asia, sandwiched between Vietnam to the east, Cambodia to the south, Thailand to the west, and China and Myanmar (Burma) to the north.

This country was instrumental to the United States during the Vietnam War.  The Hmong people helped the U.S. military and many were thus, forced to leave as refugees.  I know that many of those refugees relocated in Wisconsin.

In my research, I found that the country is rather backward.  In the countryside, people live in huts and eat the huge rats for sustenance.  Also, electricity is a luxury, since many people can only get it sometimes at their homes.

They grow rice and have herds of water buffalo, much like we have cows in the United States.  There are also nasty animals in that country such as tigers, huge spiders, and scorpions.  Of course, my people had to get into the worst places to show what the country was really like.

Anyway, Laos is beautiful, from what I read.  Even though the rural areas are poor, the cities are more cosmopolitan.  It's a slower lifestyle, with more of a rugged feel for the entire country.

Some day, I'd love to visit!

Have a great day!
SweetTale Books


References:
Google Maps
CIA.gov
Laos
Nye Noona (about Water Buffalo)
WHAT HAPPENS IF A MALAYSIAN BLACK FOREST SCORPION STINGS YOU?

No comments:

Post a Comment