Friday, September 9, 2016

Weak Dialogue Tags

I've been going over my books again (yes, all 56--it's a work in progress) to make them better.  I seem to have an issue with dialogue tags, making them more passive (in my mind) than they need to be.

Here's an example.

"Come with me," she said, opening the car door.

Wouldn't it sound better as:

"Come with me."  She opened the car door.

It seems less passive than the first to me.  Do you have that problem, too?  I let some of the tags like that alone, if the action isn't an active one or it's done at the same time as the character is speaking in relation to the words.  For example:

"That won't work," she said, scrunching up her nose.

She scrunched up her nose because the action is related to the words.

Just an opinion.  Check out your own works and see if  you have the same issue.


Have a great day!
SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment