From dictionary.com, outer conflict is defined as:
And, to contrast, the inner conflict is defined as:
This week, we want to look at internal conflicts. What type of inner conflict would a character have?
Here are a 20 ideas. I've used some of these ideas in my books, but have added a few others that I may use in future books.
- Past abuse making them fearful or tougher
- Being cheated on in the past making them untrusting
- Addiction of some type--alcohol, drugs, food, or any of the seven deadly sins
- Strict parents
- Was kidnapped as a child
- Thinks they're damaged goods/ugly
- Everyone dies around them
- Running from a murderer, worrying that everyone is out to get them
- Life has to be controlled or they can't cope
- Everything they do is to help one other person
- Feeling like a nobody
- Harboring a secret
- Feel guilty about a past issue
- Embarrassing family member
- Worried about job security/doubts ability in job
- Feels like an outcast in society or community
- Abandoned by family
- Harassed on social media to the point that they're afraid for their life
- Battling a mental illness
- Trying to be something they're not
Have any more to add?
Have a great day!