Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Meet the Waiter

This is part of my continuing series of how to have unusual and fun characters in a book.  Today we're looking at the waiter/waitress.

Now, you're probably thinking to yourself, eh...just wait staff.  Boring stuff.  They take your order, smile to get a great tip, and bring you your food.

I used to think that, too, until I realized that the wait staff can really make a scene.  I've had waiters who have been huge flirts, some who have been nasty, and some who seem to be bored with their jobs.  One in particular sticks out in my past.

We'd gone into a certain NC restaurant and ordered our meal.  At this restaurant they would give all customers a big loaf of fantastic bread.  I don't know if they still do, because we don't have that chain restaurant in this area.

Since we had three young children at that time, I pulled out my knife to get even pieces for the kids so they wouldn't fight.  The waiter came to our table and chewed me out because I NEVER should cut the bread but rip it, or I would destroy the heart of the bread or some other stupid comment.

Needless to say, we NEVER went back to that restaurant, even if we lived in another state.  I wasn't about to be yelled at again by a waiter.

So the next time you write about wait staff, give them personality.  It's someone the character will never forget.  That character can make the protagonist come out of their shell or make them cry.  Needless to say, supporting characters like the wait staff can propel the plot along without them even realizing it.

Have a great day!
SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment