Friday, October 7, 2016

Showing the Disgust Feeling in Writing

My characters get disgusted at the strangest thing.  Do yours?  I mean, really...is "Sausage, shrimp, hot dog rolls, pickles, baked beans, and sauerkraut" in a casserole that bad?  (That's from A Heapin' Helping of Three Cross Faith by Eryn Grace).  Would that make you wrinkle your lip in disgust?  

When I'm disgusted, I also put my teeth together, open my lips, and wrinkle my nose.  I don't know if others do that, but it seems to show disgust to me.  Kind of like this (from Disgust):



So how do you convey disgust without making a reader confused?  Here are some ideas from the references below.  Have your character display:


  • a curled upper lip or a tight frown
  • narrow or partially closed eyes
  • head shake (side-to-side as in 'no')
  • sticking out their tongue as if going to vomit
  • wrinkle or draw up the nose
  • sneer or snarl
In addition, your character could mention their disgust by using one of the following words:
  • ugh
  • ewww
  • ick
  • yuck
  • blech
  • bleh

Can you think of any more?

Have a great day!
SweetTale Books


Reference:
How to Show (Not Tell) an Emotion–A to D
Dictionary of Interjections
Disgust

No comments:

Post a Comment