Monday, October 3, 2016

Writing about the Homeless

I follow a guy on Twitter who's homeless.  He and his dog live in his car.  I truly feel for the guy, wishing I could help him out.  I retweet his posts, hoping someone can help him out.  He lives in CA.  If you can help, let me know.  He needs a job and a place to live, for starters.

I also saw a guy on a street corner asking for money.  He's a vet, homeless, broke, and stranded, according to his cardboard sign.  He also had his dog with him.  People were pulling over and giving this poor guy money.

I've written quite a few books on the homeless and the hopeless.  I have one book out by Eryn Grace that's no longer for sale (the company went under and I never got my rights back).  A rich girl was sent with her company to a homeless shelter, to know what it was like to be homeless.  I had to do a bit of research for that one, because I can't even imagine what it's like.  But one thing I did realize...it can happen to anyone at any time.

Another book I wrote was called 'Better Watch Out' by Kyra Myles.  In this one, a fire destroys the family home and the teenager has to figure out how to help her family.  They end up in a homeless shelter, but there is hope for them, after an alien approaches her with a job.

In yet another book, entitled 'Ruled a Suicide,' a homeless mother with a young daughter is on the streets of Phoenix.  She sees a dead body and has to do something about it.

I wish I could help the homeless.  Yes, there are some that abuse the system, but I believe in the good nature of people and think that most of them are actually homeless.  I'd love to give them hope.  I do what I can by donating clothes and food when I can.  Because you never know when it can happen to you or to a loved one.

The homeless are interesting characters, too.  They try to hide any infirmity, any weakness, or they'll be in trouble with other homeless, or with authorities.  I found that when I wrote Ruled a Suicide.  If other homeless think you have money, you're in trouble.  If the authorities see a child on the streets, you're in trouble.  Being homeless is tough, at best.

Am I missing anything?

Have a great day!
SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment