Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Wordpress Versus Blogger

I might have a second job updating a company's website.  I have a part-time job doing website maintenance for a company in California, using a product called Your Membership.  It wasn't easy to figure out at first, but eventually, I got the hang of it and now, it's a piece of cake.

This second job uses Wordpress for their site.  I'd never done anything on Wordpress before, so I set up a free dummy account for SweetTale Books (not really worth seeing yet) to play around with it.  The weird thing is that it reminds me a LOT of Your Membership's interface.

I use Blogger for all my blogs--always have.  So what do I think of the difference between the two?  This is strictly from a user's standpoint, from someone who only blogs and doesn't use the blog as a website.  So take it for what it is.  Just don't beat me up for my opinion.  :)

Here's what I found:

Blogger plusses:

  • Allows me to put in more than 3 megabites of pictures for a free account
  • Is easy to update
  • Can find the posts easily
  • The 'dashboard' is simple to use and includes everything
  • I can update the template easily without having to know CSS
  • Easy to write any blog posting as well as play with the HTML
WordPress plusses:
  • Great for making a website fast
  • Can bring in store items easily
For a blog, I'd recommend blogger, hands down.  It's great for non-programmers and has some really nice templates to start with that are easily personalized.  I tried with Wordpress, but the template had a few restrictions that made it difficult to manipulate.

For a website, Wordpress is a great and fast way to make something sleek and trendy.  There are lots of templates to choose from, but if you have a lot of pictures to upload, it can be expensive.  Creating a child theme has its issues, too, when updating the regular theme.

So it all depends on what you want to do.  For me, I already have a website(s) that I maintain, that I coded myself.  So using Wordpress didn't seem like a good idea.  However, if I had a business, that might be an ideal place to go because the plugins are compatible with Wordpress.

Both fantastic products!


Have a great day!
SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment