Monday, November 7, 2016

Writing about San Antonio, TX

About five years ago, our family took a trip to San Antonio, TX, for our 20th anniversary.  We took the train from Milwaukee to Chicago, then took another train to San Antonio, TX.  We had sleeper 'roomettes'--one for my husband and me, one for our daughters, and one for our son. Each roomette has two bunkbeds.

The train trip, alone, is an amazing trip for a plot.  I have more stories from that 34 hour one-way trip (it might have been longer...not sure) than you can imagine.  It was incredible.  Falling asleep while the train is rounding corners makes you hold on tight.  We were on the second floor of the thing both ways.  The views of rural America is astounding, as well.  Fantastic trip, and one I'd recommend for a lifetime of memories.  Even though I enjoyed it, my family didn't.  The rooms are very very tiny, which can be claustrophobic, and the food is the same thing, day after day (you're on the thing for two days each way).  But I loved it!

Once in San Antonio, I realized that it's more of a sprawling city rather than including high rises, etc.  The Alamo is one of the key elements, and it's smack-dab in the middle of the city, right beside a shopping area and across from Ripley's Believe it or Not.

We didn't rent a car this time, but depended on the trolleys, public transportation, and cabs for our trip.  That was kind of fun, because we wanted to teach the kids how to use public transportation.

We also visited Seaworld, a museum, and the Tower of the Americas (much like Seattle's Space Needle).  But my favorite, by far, was the Riverwalk.

The Riverwalk one of the most romantic places I've ever been. A river runs through San Antonio, so they built up the sides with sidewalks and little shops, with amazing landscaping.  We walked the entire distance from downtown to the mall more than once, even in 105 degree temps.  It didn't seem that hot to me, for some reason.

My husband had gone to San Antonio for a work trip, right around the time we were married.  Here's the funniest part...I bought a product called PrintShop years later, which includes pictures for use on websites, etc.  There's one picture on there of the Riverwalk, and the back of my husband is IN the picture.  He's sitting with a woman who was also on the trip (there was a group of them), discussing work.  Here's the picture.  He's the one with the striped shirt:



Of course, when I saw this picture, years later on this product, we HAD to make sure it was him.  It definitely is him.  And I HAD to ask about the woman.  I even knew her and she's happily married and my husband was only working.  I know that for a fact.  But it's hilarious!  Talk about a plot in the making there!

Anyway, San Antonio is a fantastic place for a plot, especially one for romance.  I'd return in a heartbeat, or even move there.  LOVE that town.

If you're writing about San Antonio, realize it's more than just a city.  It includes the Alamo, which is major heritage for all of Texas, museums, things to do for fun, and even the Riverwalk.

Have a great day!
Sweet Tale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment