Thursday, December 8, 2016

A Positive Look at the Season

As you can tell, I'm really into Christmas blogging this year?  Why?  I'm not sure.  But it's keeping
my spirits up as I watch the yucky snow out my back porch window.

Some people get really depressed this time of year.  A few contributing factors could be to blame--the weather and cloudiness, being alone, facing debt or crisis, or even having to be nice to mean relatives.  I can relate to all of these because I've been in all of these situations at different times in my life.

So how do people stay upbeat at Christmas?  Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) nails me every year, so I have to have a different mindset in winter, especially at Christmas.

First, this is my 'vacation' time.  I turn on all the lights in the house (100 watts are the best) and imagine it's summertime.  I even wear shorts in the house on the coldest of days, just to feel free from the confines of heavy clothing.  I dance.  I let myself dream.  And this is the best time I get plotting done.

Winter, and especially Christmas, brings along new chores.  These include getting ready for the season (shopping, cooking, decorating), and also dealing with winter--shoveling, scraping ice, putting down ice melt, etc.  I take these with stride and let my mind wander when I have to do these chores.

So the next time you let the season get you down, consider this your 'downtime' to plan and have fun, time you wouldn't have in the summer.  Figure out what you want to do in the spring and summer and start your plan.  It'll help give you an upbeat and positive look at the season ahead.

And, if you just want to escape the dreariness, stop by SweetTale Books and get yourself something to read.  My books all have 'happily ever after' endings, with fun and interesting stories along the way.

Have a wonderful day!
SweetTale Books

No comments:

Post a Comment